Early Childhood Development
Examine major theories of child development and apply them to educational practice. Increase your awareness of the historical and contextual influences on children, and investigate the links between different dimensions of child growth and development.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 24 Feb 2020
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Acquire an understanding of the many and varying influences important to the development of a child
- Develop an appreciation of the whole child through exploring the links between different dimensions of child growth and development
- Demonstrate autonomy and adaptability as a teacher of young children through a thorough knowledge of child development theories and links with practical applications
- Demonstrate awareness and respect for cultural, historical and contextual influences on the child
- Analyse critically links between theory, research and practice to explore the biological underpinnings of development including individual differences.
- Developmental theories: cognitive theories; learning/behaviourism; maturation/ethology
- Developmental theories: ecological systems; psychoanalysis
- Research methods
- Individual differences and genetic contributions & prenatal development
- Perception & physical and motor development
- Cognition & language development
- Joint attention & theory of mind
- Temperament & attachment
- Emotional & social development
- Peer relationships
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-ECHX602-Early Childhood Development
Admission to Master of Teaching (Birth to Five Years)
- OtherDetails -
Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as ECHX602 Early Childhood Development.
This subject examines major theories and current issues in child development and the application of developmental theory to educational practice. It provides students with an understanding of how theory and cultural assumptions influence practice and how to recognise the implications of theory and research for teaching. The initial part of the subject is concerned with theories of development and the middle to latter sections deal with domains of development and areas of specific interest in child development for the early childhood years.
- Quiz 2 (15%)
- Quiz 1 (15%)
- Learning Activity 2 (essay) (45%)
- Learning Activity 1 (25%)
Textbook information is pending.