Early Childhood Development
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
Explore Macquarie courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject you will be able to:
- Understand the many and varying influences important to the development of a child.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the whole child through exploring the links between different dimensions of child growth and development.
- Demonstrate autonomy and adaptability as a teacher of young children through a thorough knowledge of child development theories and links with practical applications
- Demonstrate awareness and respect for cultural, historical and contextual influences on the child
- Critically analyse links between theory, research and practice to explore the biological underpinnings of development including individual differences.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-ECHX602-Early Childhood Development (No longer available)
- MAQ-ECEX602 (Not currently available)
NCCW (pre-2020 units) ECED602, ECEX602, ECED819, ECED841 NCCW ECHE6020
- Other requirements -
Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as ECHX602 Early Childhood Development.
This subject examines major theories and current issues in child development and the application of developmental theory to educational practice. It provides students with an understanding of how theory and cultural assumptions influence practice and how to recognise the implications of theory and research for teaching. The initial part of the subject is concerned with theories of development and the middle to latter sections deal with domains of development and areas of specific interest in child development for the early childhood years.
- Quiz 2 (15%)
- Quiz 1 (15%)
- Learning Activity 2 (essay) (45%)
- Learning Activity 1 (25%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).