Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Design and Statistics II
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 29 Jul 2019
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- Appreciate the way statistical techniques are used to support theory in psychology
- Perform analyses of simple and complex experimental designs in psychology
- Critically evaluate designs and analyses in experimental psychology .
- 1. Introduction to Course Design and Methods in Psychology Revision of Descriptive Statistics Revision of Inferential Statistics up to and including t-tests
- 2. Revision of Correlation Introduction to Simple Linear Regression Introduction to Multiple Regression
- 3. Introduction to One-Way ANOVA Contrast testing in One-Way ANOVA
- 4. Introduction to the Analysis of Trend
- 5. Introduction to Factorial Designs & Two-Way ANOVA Contrast testing in Two-Way ANOVA
- 6. Non-parametric Tests Power
- 7. Summary and Revision
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This is an intermediate statistics unit, which covers both the design and statistical components of experiments common to psychological research. The importance of interpretation based on both the design and statistics components is emphasised, together with concepts of power and sample size requirements for efficient research. Statistical methods covered include: descriptive statistics; one-way and two-way analysis of variance; correlation; and regression and non parametric equivalents of ANOVA. The unit includes instruction on the presentation of statistical results in report formal. Practical classes are based on the use of the SPSS statistical package.
- weekly (15%)
- revision quiz: design and statistics (5%)
- evaluate study design and analysis (10%)
- Optional test 1: open book test (10%)
- Practical assignment (10%)
- Optional test 2: open book test (10%)
- Invigilated examination (40%)
Textbook information is pending.