Counter Terrorism in the Global and Australian Contexts
You’ll explore strategic counter terrorism with a focus on radicalisation, countering violent extremism and terrorist narratives. Debate responses, how terrorism ends and the relationship between counter terrorism and human rights.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 24 Jul 2023
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- demonstrate a high level of critical comprehension regarding the concepts of counter terrorism and countering violent extremism.
- Display engagement with the theoretical and practical paradigms that shape counter terrorism through the examination and exploration of contemporary global and Australian specific policies, programs, and initiatives.
- Investigate a substantial body of contemporary counter terrorism and countering violent extremism literature.
- demonstrate higher order communication skills including the ability to present sustained and persuasive arguments cogently and coherently
- Model research skills, particularly the ability to select appropriate knowledge and evidence from diverse sources in order to effectively evaluate its significance and relevance; formulate sustained and persuasive written and oral arguments.
- demonstrate higher level skills in critical analysis.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-PICX818-Global Counter Terrorism in the Australian Context (No longer available)
NCCW (pre-2020 units) PICT818, PICX818 Admission to MPICT or MCPICT or GradDipPICT or GradDipCPICT or PGCertPICT or GradCertPICT or GradCertCPICT or MPICTMIntSecSt or MCPICTMIntSecSt or MIntSecStud or GradDipIntSecStud or MCTerrorism or MSecStrategicStudMCTerrorism or MIntellMCTerrorism or MCyberSecMCTerrorism or MCTerrorismMCrim or admission to BSecStudMCTerrorism
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as PICX818 Global Counter Terrorism in the Australian Context
This subject will examine the structure and components of global counter-terrorism policies and initiatives. It will explore the relationships between foreign policy, international relations, and community dynamics exposing students to the complexity involved in delivering and evaluating effective solutions to the dynamic security threats posed by violent extremism. It will consider the complex and inter-connected roles played by organisations at a global, national and local level including the United Nations, Attorney General’s Department, Office of Premier and Cabinet, Multicultural NSW and a range of NGOs. Contemporary literature drawn from terrorism studies and real-world case-studies will expose students to important theoretical arguments relating to radicalisation, deradicalisation, and desistance and how these impact on the delivery of effective counterterrorism strategies.
- Policy memo (30%)
- Research essay (50%)
- Engagement quiz (10%)
- Participatory tasks (10%)
Current study term: 23 Jul 23 to 05 Nov 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.