Choosing Terror: Pathways into Terrorism
Consider the supporting dynamics of terrorism including ideology, communication channels, financing, criminal networks and logistics. Analyse texts, concepts and theories relating to the social construction of terrorism and violent extremism.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 24 Jul 2023
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- identify, examine and analyse texts, concepts and theories relating to the social construction of terrorism and violent extremism
- identify, investigate and evaluate the dynamics that impact on the development, evolution and dissolution of terrorism and violent extremism
- critique contemporary literature relating to concepts of terrorism and violent extremism
- formulate sustained and persuasive written and oral arguments demonstrating the ability to select appropriate sources, integrate knowledge, evaluate its relevance and present findings rationally and lucidly
- demonstrate higher-level skills in critical analysis.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-PICX837-Terrorism Dynamics (No longer available)
NCCW (pre-2020 units) PICT837, PICX837 Pre-requisite Admission to MPICT or MCPICT or GradDipPICT or GradDipCPICT or PGCertPICT or GradCertPICT or GradCertCPICT or MPICTMIntSecSt or MCPICTMIntSecSt or MIntSecStud or GradDipIntSecStud or MCTerrorism or MCyberSec or MSecStrategicStudMCTerrorism or MIntellMCTerrorism or MCyberSecMCTerrorism or MCTerrorismMCrim or admission to BSecStudMCTerrorism
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was formerly known as PICX837 Terrorism Dynamics
This subject examines the complex webs of networks and relationships involved in the development and evolution of violent extremism. These dynamics will be examined through a socio-cultural theoretical framework that draws upon contemporary terrorist scholarship including social media analysis and facilitates a critical examination of violent extremism. The subject will expose students to the complex web of socio-cultural, psychological, ideological, political and economic dynamics that produce, sustain, evolve and dissolve terrorism and violent extremism. Real world case-studies drawing on violent extremist activities, counter policies and initiatives will assist students in the formulation of sustained and persuasive arguments and techniques relating to current and future trends and patterns in the field of terrorist studies. The subject will establish a strong grounding in the theoretical constructs and techniques for a future career in the broader security discipline.
- Policy Memo (30%)
- Active Engagement (10%)
- Quiz (10%)
- Research Esaay (50%)
Current study term: 23 Jul 23 to 05 Nov 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.