Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
- 1. Introduction to Learning
- 2. Classical Conditioning, Principles and Applications of Classical Conditioning
- 3. Research on Classical Conditioning; Introduction to Operant Conditioning
- 4. Schedules of Reinforcement; Applications of Reinforcement
- 5. Extinction; Punishment
- 6. Behavioural Neuroscience: Genetics
- 7. The Nervous Systems: Brain Cells
- 8. Neurophysiology; Neurochemistry; Communication by Receptors
- 9. Neurotransmitters; Neurotransmitter System Dysfunction
- 10. Substance Abuse; Addiction
- 11. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
MAQ-PSYX105-Introduction to Psychology II
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
Topics covered in the first half of the subject provide a basic understanding of the basic principles underlying associative learning, including classical conditioning and operant conditioning, social learning as well as neural mechanisms of learning. The latter half of the unit includes the cytoarchitecture of central and peripheral neurons, neurophysiology, neuroanatomy, neurotransmitters and methods in behavioural neuroscience.
- Weekly online quiz (self assessment 0%)
- Mid semester test (30%)
- Research report (1000 words) (30%)
- Invigilated examination (40%)
Textbook information is pending.