Biblical and Near Eastern Literature and History
Let history guide you through the foundation of the kingdoms of Israel and Judah. Follow the traditions, myths and ideologies of the past. Scan archaeological evidence. Divide your attention between the ancient empires of Egypt, Assyria and Babylon.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 24 Feb 2020
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Know the literary genres of the biblical text and be able to set them within their social context as illuminated through a knowledge of comparable Near Eastern texts, key issues in the study of this area, and aspects of the cultures studied in this unit
- Identify key archaeological, textual, and historical issues in the study of the ancient Near East and the relationship of those issues to the study of ancient Israel and the biblical text
- Analyse source material, including the archaeological record, ancient sources, and modern scholarship, the critiquing of texts and application of knowledge
- Synthesise acquired knowledge and understanding to produce critical analytical compositions
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
3 credit points AHIX subject at 100 level
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
Delve into the traditions, myths and history of ancient Israel, as set within its broader ancient Near Eastern context. This includes discussions of the antecedent societies in ancient Mesopotamia and Syria from which the Israelites descended, from whom they borrowed and adapted cultural aspects, and against whom they ultimately contended. Explore what the Bible and ancient Near Eastern literature have to say about these contemporary cultures, and the light that can be shed on them by both archaeological evidence and modern critical study. Learn how the Israelites interpreted their present by a re-narration of their past and how they came to situate and differentiate themselves theologically from the peoples that surrounded them.
- Essay (50%)
- Paper 1 (25%)
- Paper 2 (25%)
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Arts
- Major in English
- Major in Ancient History
- Major in Modern History
- Major in Philosophy
- Major in Politics
- Major in Sociology
- Major in Creative Writing
- Major in Indigenous Studies
- Major in International Relations