Applied Cyber Security
Gain an overview of communications security, risk assessment, human factors, authentication, malicious software, software security and legal and ethical issues for a comprehensive understanding of cyber security threats.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 24 Feb 2020
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of cyber security threats, technologies and management practices within public and private sectors
- critique and evaluate threats faced in the cyber world and contrast them against those in the physical world
- evaluate the significance and relevance of the governing principles behind cyber security, the theory and practice behind technology risks and countermeasures and the role that security management plays in the wider picture of cyber security
- demonstrate a comprehensive awareness of the procedures and practices involved in managing cyber security risks and threats and apply these to a real world situation, through the establishment of a cyber security risk assessment exercise.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-PICX848-Applied Cyber Security
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject is previously known as PICX848 Applied Cyber Security.
In today’s world, organisations must be able to protect and defend against threats in cyberspace. This subject provides a solid understanding of the theory and practice used to manage information security on computer systems and networks. Students will be exposed to multiple cyber security technologies, processes and procedures, learn how to analyse threats, vulnerabilities and risks present in these environments, and develop appropriate strategies to mitigate potential cyber security problems. Topics include: an overview of computer and communications security, risk assessment, human factors, identification and authentication, access controls, malicious software, software security and legal and ethical issues. Students will have the opportunity to use tools and software commonly used to attack/protect networks in order to develop workplace skills.
- Assessment 1 (25%)
- Assessment 2 (25%)
- Assessment 3 (50%)
Textbook information is pending.