Network Engineering Fundamentals
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 38,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Learn more about La Trobe.
Explore La Trobe courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
- Describe the overall OSI model and how layers interact with adjacent layers in the model.
- Identify functions of each OSI layer and apply this knowledge to build a Network.
- Describe the evolution of Local Area Network (LAN technology with focus on Ethernet.
- Apply appropriate network physical standards for different network scenarios.
- Describe TCP/IP based network protocol suite and compare with OSI model
- Introduction to Network and Network Protocols models
- Network Layer Protocols and Addressing Network
- Switches and Routers Configuration
- Transport layer Protocols
- Application layer Protocols
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
In this subject we introduce the architecture, structure, functions, components, and models of the Internet and other computer networks. We also look at OSI and TCP/IP layer models to examine the nature and roles of protocols and services at the application, network, data link, and physical layers. The fundamentals of IP addressing and basic concepts of Ethernet will also be studied.
- Two Online tests (15% each) 500 - word equivalent each) (30%)
- One online lab practical test (900-word equivalent) (20%)
- Final centrally scheduled exam ( 2500-word equivalent) (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).