Essentials of Chemistry
Your upfront cost: $0
- 01 Mar 2021
- 31 May 2021
- 30 Aug 2021
- 29 Nov 2021
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon successful completion of this subject you should be able to:
- communicate (including read and write) in the language of chemistry; interpreting and using chemical symbols, conventions and nomenclature
- apply concepts of chemical structure to explain the properties of matter, exploit different types of chemical reactions to create new molecules, and evaluate the extent to which reactions may occur
- employ the scientific method that supports evidence-based practice
- manipulate quantitative relationships to solve chemistry problems.
- Introduction to Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Physical Principles of Chemistry
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- OtherDetails - To conduct kitchen-based practicals, foodstuffs and household products may need to be purchased, to a maximum value of AUD $50. This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia. Late enrolments are generally not permitted past the published close of application date for the study period. For students not enrolled in the prerequisite courses, you may be able to undertake these subjects with approval of your home course coordinator, please contact ASK La Trobe for assistance.
Essentials of Chemistry is an introductory subject for students with minimal background or no previous study in chemistry. The subject introduces
chemistry topics with a real-world focus to prepare students for further studies in chemistry and related fields of science. The subject will introduce and reinforce chemistry concepts, knowledge and skills in chemistry to enable students to apply chemical principles and practice during their studies and in future employment.
Module 1: General Chemistry covers matter, atoms, the periodic table, chemical bonding, naming compounds, molecular geometry, atomic masses, the mole and chemical reactions.
Module 2: Organic Chemistry covers alkanes, alkenes, alkynes and arenes, functional groups and reaction types.
Module 3: Physical Chemistry covers gases, energy in chemistry, equilibria, acids and bases, and chemical kinetics.
- Module Assessment Quizzes (1600 word equiv) (40%)
- Scenario-based Problems (1200 word equiv) (30%)
- Practical Exercises (1200 word equiv) (30%)
Current study term: 28 Feb 21 to 30 May 21)
Next study term: 30 May 21 to 29 Aug 21
Textbook information is pending.