- Studying fiction: tools of narrative analysis
- Realism and the novel
- Two novellas
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
Note: Level 2 subjects normally assume an introductory level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 subjects or other relevant experience.
No special requirements
LCS22 is organised into three modules. The first equips you with the key tools and concepts of narrative analysis, and shows you how to employ these tools in the analysis of short stories. The second module explains the features of style, form and subject matter which characterise literary realism, the single most important influence on the development of the novel. The final module provides examples of the ways in which the novel had evolved by the end of the nineteenth century.
- Assignment 1 - Essay 1 (30%)
- Assignment 2 - Take Home Exam (40%)
- Assignment 3 - Essay 2 (30%)