- Introduction & The history of corrections
- Correctional goals and models
- Custodial corrections
- Community corrections
- Correctional staff
- The correctional client
- Experiences of imprisonment
- Women in corrections
- Juvenile corrections
- Indigenous issues in corrections
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
This is not an introductory subject, it is a second year subject. You must have a basic understanding of the first year criminology subjects.
No special requirements
This subject examines the origins and development of corrective services in Australia. The correctional system is studied in terms of custodial and non-custodial sanctions, and considers special client populations including men, women, juveniles and Indigenous offenders. The issues of privatisation and deaths in custody are examined.
Assessment details will be advised at the beginning of the subject offering.
- Assignment 1 - Major essay (50%)
- Assignment 2 - Invigilated Exam (20%)
- Assignment 3 - Minor essay (30%)