- What is Crime? What is Criminology?
- What do we know about crime, and how?
- Classical Criminology Social Logics of Punishment
- Biological and Psychological Positivism
- Social Disorganization and Social Ecology
- Anomie and Strain Theories
- Social Learning Theories
- Labelling Theory
- Marxist and Critical Theories
- Feminist Criminology
- New Right Criminology and Social Control Theories
- New Left Realism and Cultural Criminology
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Audio-Video streaming
This is not an introductory subject, it is a second year subject. You must have a basic understanding of the first year criminology subjects.
No special requirements
This subject introduces the major 19th and 20th century theories of crime, their historical antecedents and ideological dimensions. Attention is given to street crime, white collar crime, and violence between intimates.
- Assignment 1 - Research Essay (40%)
- Assignment 2 - Invigilated Exam (40%)
- Assignment 3 - Online Test (20%)