Hone your communication skills and learn how to apply them in a business setting. Cycle through written, verbal and virtual communication studies. Find value in goal setting. Put your communication prowess towards business negotiations.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Nov 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- use reflective processes and insights in the development of self-awareness, including its influence on communication
- analyse business communication processes
- communicate effectively with others, including enhanced conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- communicate effectively as a member of a team, including prevention, management, and resolution of communication problems in teams
- understand communication patterns in organisations.
- Communication and Self-awareness
- Self Disclosure and Trust
- Goal setting and Self Management
- Listening and Assertion
- Persuasive Communication and Feedback
- Dealing with Diversity
- Working in Teams for Success
- Conflict Resolution and Negotiation
- Meetings and Decision Making
- Leadership and Empowerment
- Developing Relationships - Networking and Mentoring
- Power and Politicking
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MON-MAN130 (Not currently available)
Proficiency in reading and writing English.
- Equipment requirements - Audio/Visual equipment Access to scholarly databases required.
Effective communication is an essential skill for a successful business professional. Within public and private organisations, communication is associated with specific activities of interacting, informing, instructing and persuading. People who possess demonstrable skills in these activities are employed, prized and promoted. Increasingly, business professionals are expected to be effective communicators, both virtually and in traditional modes, without actually having had training in how to do this. If businesses are to survive in an increasingly competitive, technical and information-oriented environment they will need trained communicators who are comfortable with using new technology. This subject provides participants with advanced understanding of professional business communication and develops their skills in business related communications through practice. As such, this subject gives participants highly sought after practical knowledge of developing their virtual group-working skills, oral presentation skills, reflective analytical writing skills and a deeper understanding of the theory behind effective communication processes. At the end of this subject, participants will have gone through an extensive experiential learning process of working with others while becoming increasingly aware of their own perspective.
Students will be required to work in small groups as part of one assessment task.
- Oral Presentations (25%)
- Team Presentation (30%)
- Peer Assessments (10%)
- Reflective Essay (35%)
Current study term: 28 Nov 21 to 27 Feb 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Business
- Business Introductory Core Subjects
- Major in Human Resource Management
- Major in Management
- Major in Contemporary Marketing