- History, ideology & poetry in lead-up to Federation
- Journalism of Sydney bulletin, short stories by H. Lawson
- Gender and writing in the 1890's
- Journalism of Louisa Lawson
- Stories by women writers
- Miles Franklin and 'My Brilliant Career'
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
Note: Level 3 subjects normally assume a moderate level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 and 2 subjects or other relevant experience.
- OtherDetails -
- Broadband access
In this subject you read a selection of poetry and short stories and a short novel as a basis for reflecting upon themes of nationality and gender in Australian literature and history. Texts include an anthology of poems and stories from the 1890s, Franklin’s My Brilliant Career, and a subject dossier of relevant literary, historical and critical writings.
The subject examines inter-relations between literary writing and reading, cultural institutions and political movements and ideologies during the two decades that principally shaped the national identity.
- Assignment 1 - Essay 1 (35%)
- Assignment 2 - Essay 2 (45%)
- Assignment 3 - Online Discussion — Disc. Posts and Reflection (25%)