Unleash your inner Shakespeare, Wilde or Plath as you put pen to paper. Get to know the concepts and techniques of poetry writing before producing your own prose. Workshop your peers’ work and submerge yourself in the writing process.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Aug 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify and discuss key concepts and techniques central to the reading and writing of poems
- apply knowledge of poetry and poetics to the completion of a series of poetry writing and analysis exercises
- produce a series of poems, of differing lengths, that demonstrate appropriate application of key concepts
- critically appraise work-in-progress by peers and synthesise and reflect on constructive criticism of their own work.
- Poetry and Poetics
- Persona and voice
- Critical and creative analysis
- Poetry and imagination
- The poetry workshop
- Reflexive practice
- Performing poetry
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
An intermediate subject on the theory and practice of writing poetry. An appreciation of language through textual consideration and the practice of creative writing, including drafting and editing.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Poem 1 and Reflection (20%)
- Poem 2 and Reflection (35%)
- Poem 3 and Reflection (45%)
Current study term: 28 Aug 22 to 27 Nov 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Arts English and Cultural Studies
- Common Level 1 Subjects
- Level 1 Major Subjects
- Level 2 Core Subjects
- Level 2 Optional Subjects
- Level 3 Core Subjects
- Level 3 Optional Subjects