Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
- The Emergence of the Magazine
- The Feature Article: Form and Function
- The Effect of Feature Articles: Bringing about Change
- Elements of the Feature: Language, Technique and Structure
- The Target Audience
- Proposing, Pitching and Commissioning Articles
- Research and Interviewing Skills
- A Question of Representation
- Feature Articles and the Literacy Magazine
- The Future of Magazines
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
Note: Level 2 subjects normally assume an introductory level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 subjects or other relevant experience.
- EquipmentDetails - Audio/Visual equipment
This subject deals with the social and cultural context of magazine production, the international nature of the market place and the structure and characteristics of magazine feature writing. It examines the source of ideas, and their generation and development into stories, and explores basic feature forms, styles, structures and content. The subject will develop practical writing skills with special attention to publication style and the ability to write for different markets.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Short feature article (20%)
- Feature proposal & article (60%)
- Critical analysis (20%)
Bachelor of Arts Fine Art and Professional Writing and Publishing
- Level 2 Major - Fine Art - Painting
- Level 2 Major - Fine Art - Sculpture