Writing Long Fiction
Your upfront cost: $0
- 31 Aug 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify and critically discuss the key concepts involved in planning and carrying out long fiction projects
- analyse and critically discuss the ways in which contemporary writers are working with the long story, the novella and the novel as form
- constructively critique work-in-progress by other writers and demonstrate the capacity to discriminate and apply selected criticism to their own work
- create relevant chapters and a synopsis for a new work of long fiction, novella or novel.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
An advanced subject which examines the techniques and problems involved in writing long fiction - specifically the long story, the novella and the novel. Students look at the work of a variety of fiction writers from the point of view of the writer who wants to learn how the authors of particular works succeeded. Students devise and carry out their own writing projects in long fiction.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Exercise (20%)
- Investigation (30%)
- Project (50%)
Textbook information is pending.