Writing Genre Fiction
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Nov 2021
- 30 May 2022
- 28 Nov 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify and critically discuss the role of genre in a range of contemporary short fiction
- experiment with the parameters and possibilities of genre, as exercised in the short fiction form
- conceive, draft, refine and complete a piece of short fiction that demonstrates the traditions, parameters and possibilities of the student’s chosen genre
- constructively critique work-in-progress by other writers and contribute meaningfully to the discussion and analysis of short genre fiction.
- To be advised
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
An intermediate subject in theory and practice of writing short prose fiction. The particular genres studied depend on availability of staff. Emphasis on critical workshop discussion leading to completed examples of the student's own work
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Character Sketches (3) (20%)
- Scenes (3) (30%)
- Short Story (50%)
Current study term: 28 Nov 21 to 27 Feb 22
Textbooks are not required.
Next study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.