Writing for Children
Discuss examples of children's literature in Australia, so you can learn from other authors' narrative techniques. Discover what it takes to develop a marketable idea for a children's book. Receive valuable feedback on a work-in-progress.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Nov 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- access and critically discuss issues and resources relevant to children’s writing in Australia
- analyse and discuss selected texts in terms of language complexity, style, sub-text, rhythm, narrative structure and narrative technique
- devise and develop three new marketable concepts to a professional standard for works of children’s literature
- constructively critique work-in-progress by peers with the perceived needs of the given target audience in mind, and synthesise and apply, where appropriate, feedback on their own work-in-progress.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
An advanced, special topic in writing for children leading to the production of marketable concepts for works of children's literature.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Picture Book (30%)
- Work of Junior Fiction (30%)
- Work of Adolescent Fiction (40%)
Current study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Textbooks are not required.
Next study term: 27 Nov 22 to 26 Feb 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Arts English and Cultural Studies
- Common Level 1 Subjects
- Level 1 Major Subjects
- Level 2 Core Subjects
- Level 2 Optional Subjects
- Level 3 Core Subjects
- Level 3 Optional Subjects