Special Topics in Australian Tax Law
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 27 May 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- research and identify the applicable taxation legislation from both Commonwealth and State taxation systems apply relevant legislation to practical and theoretical situations
- calculate the tax payable in respect to Tax, Stamp Duty, Land Tax, Fringe Benefit Tax and Pay-roll Tax
- identify and calculate the taxation of Termination Payments for a taxpayer who is resigning from employment
- explain and apply taxation legislation for Primary Production taxpayers
- discuss the substantiation provisions of the Income Tax Assessment Act and demonstrate the application to situations including motor vehicle expenses.
- Primary Production
- Substantiation and Cars
- Advanced CGT Topics
- Superannuation and Termination Payments
- Fringe Benefits Tax
- Payroll Tax
- Land Tax
- Duties Tax
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Study guide
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No special requirements
The primary aim of this subject is to introduce students to both State and Commonwealth tax laws. The subject introduces both legislative issues as well as requires students to make practical calculations. The subject will involve both research and practical skills application.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Essay (25%)
- Mid-semester test (25%)
- Invigilated Examination (50%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more: