Spatial Computations (On-campus)
Your upfront cost: $0
17 weeks weeks
- 26 Jul 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
- create design solutions to complex spatial problems
- apply knowledge of structured programming concepts to computer program design
- create algorithms, flowcharts and code to document solutions for geometric and topological problems
- compare and critique algorithms for spatial data handling and manipulation
- evaluate the structure and logic of computer programs and apply debugging techniques
- 1. Introduction to Spatial Computations & Python
- 2. Programming paradigms, Software Development & Solution Designing
- 3. Functions and Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...
- 4. Loops and Functions
- 5. Functions, Random Numbers and Lists
- 6. Files, Files Code
- 7. Strings and Dictionaries
- 8. GeoJSON, Searching and Sorting
- 9. Formatting and matplotlib
- 10. Date, Time, Modularisation, Fomatting
- 11. Testing
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
In this unit students will solve advanced spatial problems, an essential skill for Spatial Science professionals. Students will engage with computer programming, particularly for spatial data and applications. Complex spatial problems will be investigated, broken down into smaller elements and design solutions for each element worked out through the writing of structured code. Students will also learn about the importance of, and workings of, common algorithms for spatial data.
1. Introductory Coding Exercise, 30 percent, ULOs assessed 1,2,3,5; 2. Advanced Coding Exercise, 30 percent, ULOs assessed 3,4,5; 3. Final Assignment, 40 percent, ULOs assessed 1,3,4,5.
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 12 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.