Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Professional Experience 3: Using Data to Inform Teaching and Learning
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Aug 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- research and explain theory for the effective use of data to improve student learning outcomes and provide feedback
- create learning plans based on data and research from a full range of sources such as family, allied professionals, class or centre, school and system
- evaluate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student data and proposed actions to improve student learning outcomes
- demonstrate professional practices, knowledge, understanding and skills linked to the AITSL standards, that support, respect and engage learners from diverse cultural backgrounds inclusive of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- Why do educators need to use data?
- Theoretical foundations for the collection of data
- What is data? Types of data and data sources
- Data and assessment literacy
- Data systems and how to display data
- Collecting, analysing and interpreting quantitative data
- Collecting, analysing and interpreting qualitative data
- Making decisions based on data: Strategies and practices for using classroom data
- Demonstrating impact using data; research considerations
- Professional learning: Assessment data resources
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:one of
- CUR-MTP506-Primary Professional Experience 2: Assessment and Reporting
- CUR-MTS504-Secondary Professional Experience 2: Assessment and Reporting
- CUR-MTEC502-Early Childhood Professional Experience 2: Planning for Writing, Assessment and Reporting
- Placement requirements - Placement Details - The fieldwork for this unit includes a 15-day professional experience placement in a school. The placement must be undertaken on a full-time basis in a continuous block. Other Details - Please note that all relevant, valid working with children checks and clearances must be provided as requested prior to commencement of the placement.
This is the third in the suite of professional experience subjects and includes both a theory and a practical component. This unit focuses on principles, processes and impacts of learning environment, school level and system data collection, analysis and interpretation. Data relevant to Indigenous educational outcomes will be interrogated, emphasising an evidentiary approach to program and policy development in learning environments, schools and beyond. The professional experience practical assessment is a three week full-time block placement intended to enable practical application of the knowledge and skills gained. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid, and all other professional experience requirements met. Both theory and practical components must be passed in order to pass the unit.
To view the Professional Experience Calendar, please see below:
2023 Master of Teaching Prof Exp Calendar (PDF)
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Strategic plan to impact learning for First Nation Australian students (50%)
- Professional Experience Placement (%)
- Individual Learning Plan Design (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).