Map the physical geography of the planet as it relates to urban, rural and regional environments. Unearth tectonic plates and river systems. Look up to the sky and study weather patterns. Highlight the issues that affect sustainability planning.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 30 Nov 2020
- 31 May 2021
- 29 Nov 2021
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of the subject students will be able to:
- explain the physical processes that have shaped and continue to shape our planet
- describe how physical geography interacts with and shapes human geography and evaluate key issues and threatening processes in environmental sustainability,
- critically discuss the global impact of human activities on the environment,
- apply data collection and analysis to examine the effects of human and non-human interactions.
- Introduction to physical geography: the physical-environmental-social basis of our world
- Essentials of Physical Geography (earth structure, geological time)
- The dynamic planet
- Tectonics, places and volcanism
- River systems and landforms
- Weathering and landscapes
- Soils, ecosystems and biomes
- The oceans, coastal processes and landscapes
- Water resources and global climate systems
- Weather patterns
- Energy, atmosphere and global temperatures
- Conclusion: revisiting our earth
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject provides an introduction and exploration of the main principles of physical geography applied to urban, rural and regional environments. A range of topics are examined in relation to environmental processes as well as, social and economic public policy outcomes.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Essay (30%)
- Online Quiz (30%)
- Laboratory (40%)
Discovering Physical Geography, Enhanced e-Text, 4th Ed - NOT REQUIRED TO PURCHASE THE HARD COPY (accessible via Curtin Library)
Arbogast, A.F. 2017
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Education Secondary Education
- The Arts Education Major (Visual Arts)
- English Education Major
- HASS (Geography) Education Major