Materials Design and Assessment
Reflect on your personal practice and examine contemporary approaches to materials design and evaluation in TESOL. Look at needs analysis, lesson objectives, validity, reliability, preparing learners for testing and divergent digital approaches.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Aug 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- reflect on personal practices and examine contemporary approaches to materials design and evaluation in TESOL
- integrate knowledge of current and emerging sources in evaluating and developing learning materials, and assessing language ability
- adapt and prepare materials and assessment items
- evaluate learning materials and assessment procedures in terms of educational, cultural and social appropriateness.
- Materials design overview
- Assessment overview: Terminology and contemporary approaches
- Product and Process aspects of materials provision
- Approaches to materials design in a digital age
- Impact and backwash in assessment
- Needs analysis in materials design
- Relating classroom materials to lesson objectives
- Validity and Reliability
- Practicality, Authenticity and Interactiveness in assessment
- Preparing learners for external tests
- Emerging and diverging approaches to assessment
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- CUR-TESOL501C-Materials Design and Assessment (No longer available)
You won't be able to enrol into this subject if you've already successfully completed or currently enrolled in the following subject(s) as they are considered anti-requisites due to the similarity of the content.
No additional requirements
This subject enables students to reflect on personal practice in the light of approaches to materials design in a digital age and emerging and diverging approaches to evaluation in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Materials development (50%)
- Evaluation (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages TESOL