Language Teaching Course Design and Assessment
Examine contemporary approaches to syllabus design and evaluation. Reflect on your personal practice, and integrate your knowledge of curricula in planning, teaching, materials, evaluating courses and assessing language ability
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Nov 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- reflect on personal practices in relationship to contemporary theory and practice in designing courses of second language instruction
- integrate knowledge of learner needs, instructional goals and objectives, syllabus design, materials writing and test development
- analyse and interpret example of course material and language assessment tests
- evaluate adapt learning materials and tests to be educationally, culturally and socially appropriate in specific contexts.
- Language Course Design: Key Components
- Contemporary Options in Language Course Design: An Historical Perspective
- Tasks in Language Teaching and Learning: Psycholinguistics, the Learner, and the Social Context
- Input-Based Tasks
- Interactive Tasks
- Output-Based Tasks
- Syllabus Design
- Lesson Planning and Implementational Options
- Assessing Performance
- Evaluating Language Instruction
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- Equipment requirements - Audio/Visual equipment
This subject enables students to reflect on personal practice in the light of emerging and diverging approaches to syllabus design and evaluation in language teaching.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Exercise (40%)
- Report (60%)
Current study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Introducing Task-Based Language Teaching
Next study term: 27 Nov 22 to 26 Feb 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.