Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply the basic probability, statistical and sampling tools required to evaluate business estimates/forecasts
- evaluate and apply the concept of linear regression to data and interpret results
- formulate economic and financial hypotheses into statistically testable forms
- statistically test for economic and/or financial hypotheses and analyse results
- evaluate the adequacy of various statistical models
- Foundations of probability and statistics
- Analysis of business data
- Developing econometric models
- Using linear regression techniques
- Multiple linear regression
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
This subject provides the probability and statistical foundations for the appropriate analysis of business data. It then builds on these concepts to show how they can be used to help develop econometric models, using linear regression techniques, which can be used in business, for example, to quantify relationships between two variables, such as advertising and sales, and firm performance and CEO salaries. These techniques are then extended to multiple linear regression, where now several variables can be allowed to predict our variable of interest (say sales or firm performance).
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
- Quizzes (20%)
- Data Analysis Project (30%)
- Final Examination (50%)