Introduction to Measurement of Construction Works
Examine the Australian measurement standards used in construction. Use rules to measure simple construction examples. Find alternative ways to measure builder’s quantities and estimates. Use techniques to quantify and cost construction work.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 30 Aug 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- describe the uses of measurement in the local and international construction industries
- interpret and communicate industry principles and rules for measuring simple construction works
- interpret specifications and drawings for measuring simple construction works
- apply construction methods and measurement principles to produce measurements for simple construction works in accordance with industry principles and rules.
- Introduction to Building Measurement in the Construction Industry
- Introduction to ASMM, Areas and Perimeters
- Application of the ASMM and Measuring of Centre Lines
- Earthwork Measurement
- Conrete Measurement
- Measurement of Reinforcements
- Measurement of Formwork
- Staircase Measurement
- Measurement of Concrete Frame
- Computer Aided Measurement
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- CUR-CME105C-Introduction to Measurement of Construction Works (No longer available)
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
- CUR-CME101-Low Rise Construction
- CUR-CME110 (Not currently available)
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as Introduction to Building Measurement.
In this subject students will examine the various uses of measurement in the construction industry. The principles and rules of building measurement are applied to the measurement of simple construction works examples using the Australian Standard Method of Measurement of Building Works. Students will be required to demonstrate different methods for recording measurements, including hand-written and computer-based approaches.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Test (20%)
- Case Study 1 - Measurement of Siteworks and Substructure (30%)
- Case Study 2 - Measurement of Concrete Work in (Low to Medium Rise) Superstructure (50%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Applied Science Construction Management
- Level 4 Subjects - Professional
- Level 4 Subjects - Honours