- What is language?
- Development of language conventions
- Discourse in oral and written communication
- Introduction to first language acquisition
- Introduction second language acquisition
- Introduction to instructed second language acquisition
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject introduces the various component systems of language as a basis for conceptualising and describing language variation in education. These concepts are also applied to students’ individual needs and experience as they relate to current theories of first and second language acquisition and instruction.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Assignment 1 - Presentation (50%)
- Assignment 2 - Review (50%)
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a subject