Introduction to Finance Principles
Enter the world of corporate financial management and decision-making. Break down key principles, concepts and processes and apply them to corporate scenarios. Get a handle on asset pricing theory, interest rates and project and asset valuation
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
Subjects may require attendance
- 26 Aug 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will:
- distinguish and apply time value of money concepts to solve financial problems
- evaluate and apply the diverse financial models to value real and financial assets
- synthesise the competing theories in capital structure policy, and evaluate the different models of cost of capital estimation
- evaluate and apply the concepts of risk management.
- Introduce basic concepts and principles to financial processes, products and institutions
- Introduce finance theory as it applies to financial processes, products and institutions
- Develop a foundation in finance for students specialising in related fields
- Present a set of financial tools that facilitate financial analysis and decision making
- Resources and Links
You will need some maths skills, an understanding of quantitative techniques and/or algebra. You may use a standard or financial calculator.
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as BAN23 Introductory Finance.
This subject develops the rationale and techniques of corporate financial management built from the fundamentals of financial mathematics, interest rates, project and asset valuation, portfolio theory, asset pricing theory, capital structure theory, and risk management.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Mid-study period test (30%)
- Assignment (20%)
- Final Invigilated Examination (50%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more: