- An introduction to the Australian legal system, an introduction to contract; the offer
- Acceptance, intention to be bound
- Consideration; contents of a contract
- Exempting, excluding and limiting terms; misrepresentation
- Discharging a contract; remedies
- Types of companies registration
- Consequences of registration; internal rules
- Management of companies; corporate liability; contract, tort and crime
- Membership; meetings; directors duties part 1
- Directors duties part 2 and 3
- Members rights and remedies; financial reports and audit
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
This subject introduces the Australian Legal System and then focuses on fundamental legal rules and regulations relating to Contract Law and Corporations Law. The subject covers basic principles of Contract Law with particular reference to business entities including the nature and legal consequences of contract, formation of contract, terms of a contract and capacity of parties; misleading conduct in contracts; discharge of contract and remedies for breach of contract. The subject will also examine business structures and provide an overview of basic Corporations Law including the formation of companies under Australian law and consequences of incorporation; company internal rules; management and contracting; corporate governance including membership, meetings and directors duties, members remedies, accounts and financial reporting and audit; and external administration of companies.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Take home - essay (25%)
- Short problem questions (25%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)