Fundamentals of Business and Corporations Law
Interrogate the legal system and focus on the specifics of contract and corporation law.Contrast Australia’s legal processes with examples from other countries. Go over the rights and responsibilities of companies, their members and their directors.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 30 Aug 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- recognise the fundamentals of the Australian legal system and its similarities and differences with other systems in the world, including how laws are made in Australia and the hierarchy of the court system as a basis for learning the Law of Contract and Corporations Law
- interpret and critique legislation and case law to determine how they apply to various contractual and corporate situations
- apply relevant legal principles to solve hypothetical contractual and corporate law problems to demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- An introduction to the Australian legal system, an introduction to contract; the offer
- Acceptance, intention to be bound
- Consideration; contents of a contract
- Exempting, excluding and limiting terms; misrepresentation
- Discharging a contract; remedies
- Types of companies registration
- Consequences of registration; internal rules
- Management of companies; corporate liability; contract, tort and crime
- Membership; meetings; directors duties part 1
- Directors duties part 2 and 3
- Members rights and remedies; financial reports and audit
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
This subject introduces the Australian Legal System and then focuses on fundamental legal rules and regulations relating to Contract Law and Corporations Law. The subject covers basic principles of Contract Law with particular reference to business entities including the nature and legal consequences of contract, formation of contract, terms of a contract and capacity of parties; misleading conduct in contracts; discharge of contract and remedies for breach of contract. The subject will also examine business structures and provide an overview of basic Corporations Law including the formation of companies under Australian law and consequences of incorporation; company internal rules; management and contracting; corporate governance including membership, meetings and directors duties, members remedies, accounts and financial reporting and audit; and external administration of companies.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Test comprised of short problem questions on Contract Law (25%)
- Take home test comprised of one essay question on Corporations Law (25%)
- Remote Invigilated Exam (50%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.