Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Form and Style in Drama Production
Watch how auteurs wield style elements and techniques when creating drama films. Lose yourself in the stories of femme fatales and other characters. Explore the roles that editing, cinematography and scriptwriting play in the construction of a film.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 30 Aug 2021
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify the form and style elements and techniques employed in drama screen texts
- analyse and critique a range of drama screen texts, creative and screen production approaches
- apply formalist theory frameworks to critically evaluate a drama film work
- reflect and evaluate on own learning, communication skills and the dynamics of collaborative creative practice.
- Drama Narratives & Editing
- Auteurism & Cinematography
- The Other: post colonialism
- Interpretation of Otherness
- Feminist Cinema & Gender
- Femmes Fatales: Gender & Transgression
- Hegemonic Masculinity
- Knowledge & Innocence: the child on screen
- Home, Place and Citizenship: mythologies of everyday life
- Genre Identities: romance, disguise and the forbidden
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No special requirements
Students will study a variety of drama film styles and narrative screen forms in order to understand and critique a range of creative and filmic approaches to drama screen production.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Tutorial presentation & contribution (40%)
- Research Essay (30%)
- Group Presentation (30%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.