Express yourself through unconventional writing styles such as postmodern poetry, spoken word poetry and mixed media. Analyse how new genres fit into the literary landscape. Take part in thought-provoking workshops. Develop a portfolio of poetic work.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Feb 2022
- 29 Aug 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply language-based and referent-based strategies to draft and develop a portfolio of new poetic texts
- identify, analyse and critically discuss post-modern poetry, avant-garde poetics and new and emerging genres within the context of contemporary culture
- create a performance text using a combination of speech-based poetry, mixed or multi-media, and/or the participation of the audience
- demonstrate skills in constructive criticism of experimental works in progress
- explore through creative practice how experimental texts can operate as a form of intervention.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
An intermediate subject in the theory and practice of creative writing with a particular emphasis on contemporary avant-garde poetics and other experimental forms.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module
- (Poetry) Portfolio (25%)
- A short performance text (30%)
- Major Project (45%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
The Writing Experiment: Strategies for Innovative Creative Writing
Next study term: 27 Feb 22 to 29 May 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.