Express yourself through unconventional writing styles such as postmodern poetry, spoken word poetry and mixed media. Analyse how new genres fit into the literary landscape. Take part in thought-provoking workshops. Develop a portfolio of poetic work.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Aug 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply language-based and referent-based strategies to draft and develop a portfolio of new poetic texts
- identify, analyse and critically discuss post-modern poetry, avant-garde poetics and new and emerging genres within the context of contemporary culture
- create a performance text using a combination of speech-based poetry, mixed or multi-media, and/or the participation of the audience
- demonstrate skills in constructive criticism of experimental works in progress
- explore through creative practice how experimental texts can operate as a form of intervention.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
An intermediate subject in the theory and practice of creative writing with a particular emphasis on contemporary avant-garde poetics and other experimental forms.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module
- (Poetry) Portfolio (25%)
- A short performance text (30%)
- Major Project (45%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
Bachelor of Arts Creative Writing Professional Writing and Publishing