Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Explore avant-garde cinema and experimental screen arts through different lenses—dada and surrealism, cameraless film, and structural film. Innovate and synthesise your learnings into an original new project. Critically reflect on your experience.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- appraise themes, theories and styles through the analysis of past and present experimental and avant-garde cinemas
- create innovative screen projects by applying critical knowledge and skills derived from experimental and avant-garde approaches
- reflect on own learning as an outcome of the critical and creative process
- synthesise elements of previous productions into an original new project.
- Cameraless 1
- Cameraless 2
- Cameraless 3/ Sound 1
- Structural 1 / Sound 2
- Structural 2
- Structural 3
- Structural 4
- Surrealist/ Dada 1
- Surrealist/ Dada 2
- Surrealist/ Dada 3
- Surrealist/ Dada 4
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- CUR-SCA320-Experimental Screens (No longer available)
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:one of
- CUR-SCA100-Introduction to Screen Creativity (No longer available)
- CUR-SCA110-Introduction to Screen Industries (No longer available)
No additional requirements
This subject was previously known as SCA320 Experimental Screens.
Introduction to the history, theory and practice of experimental and avant garde screen arts.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Blog (60%)
- Synthesis Film (40%)