- Introduction: how does the media engage you? How do you engage with the media?
- The medium is the message: when media converge?
- Don't touch that! Copyright, ownership and institutional control
- Entertain me! Who makes your entertainment? Actors, institutions & participatory culture
- Entertaining the world: using media across cultural boundaries
- Play with me! Having fun with media
- Engaging with media to make art
- Inform me! News media
- Networks of information: blogging, citizen journalism & collective intelligence
- Talk to me! Chatting/texting/twittering at each other
- Who's listening? Mass communication in a networked, mobile environment
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Welcome letter
- Audio-Video streaming
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
Contemporary media is a vital and pervasive presence in many aspects of our lives, both personal and professional. This subject explores the ways in which 21st century media 'engages' our attention through a variety of texts and communicative modes. It also focuses on the ways in which we, as users, consumers and producers, engage with the media. We will explore how our relation to media is impacted by the institutions and processes involved in its production.
Further Information: List of topics is indicative and subject to minor change prior to the start of each Study Period.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Essay (40%)
- Learning portfolio (30%)
- Remediation project (30%)