Domestic Study Tour
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 May 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply business theory to different national contexts
- research the contextual background of the study tour country / countries
- evaluate relevant business practices in the context of the study tour location
- describe the impact of culture on business practices in the context of the study tour location
- To understand the role of the Australian Taxation Office
- To understand the role of the courts within the Australian Taxation system
- To understand the role of the Australian Parliament in relation to the introduction of legislation
- To understand the origins and powers granted to the government in relation to taxation
- To understand the role of professionals who assist tax payers when dealing with the ATO including legal practitioners
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
Desirable that students are undertaking a Taxation major. For students who are not undertaking a Taxation major, you must seek approval by the unit coordinator to be considered to enrol in this unit.
No additional requirements
This is a national study tour and allows students to follow the taxation cycle within the Australia taxation system. Over a 10 day period students will visit Canberra and Sydney and will visit a number of organisations including government agencies such as the ATO, Treasury, Tax Practitioners Board, as well as various professional organisations. The aim of the study tour is that students will immerse themselves in learning to understand and appreciate the roles of everyone involved in the smooth running of the Australian Taxation System. As well the study tour will allow students to research the background of business practices study tour location; eg., cultural, religious, economic, political, historical and geographical.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Presentation (30%)
- Assignment (50%)
- Pre-departure Report (20%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).