Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Aug 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify and explain the events and ideas that led the development of colonial political and ideological structures
- engage with a broad selection of texts that deal with shapes and forms of colonisation and resistance
- analyse and evaluate texts, theory and experiences/knowledge of place to make informed arguments about the process of de/colonisation
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
No eligibility requirements
No additional requirements
In this subject students will engage with critical race theory and the history of Western expansion through concepts of colonialism, modernity and globalisation. Students will investigate key texts in literature, film and theory to explore the distribution of political and economic power in the specific places in the world throughout history. Through a study of texts, including World and Indigenous texts, this subject investigates critical and aesthetic responses to colonialism.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Critical Essay (40%)
- Research Essay (60%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).