Unleash your inner wordsmith. Learn the narrative techniques different types of writing use and why, before putting pen to paper yourself. Develop short scenes for the stage, deconstruct poetry, and get knee-deep in creative writing workshops.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 May 2019
- 25 Nov 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify the basic narrative techniques used in classic and contemporary short stories and apply them to the production of a new short story
- develop short scenes for film or the stage with regard to the relationship between dialogue and action
- identify the basic tools and techniques used in the construction of poetry and certain poetic forms and apply to the production of new poetic works
- employ constructive criticism skills to facilitate a supportive and productive creative writing workshop environment
- critically reflect on own creative practice with reference to key theories and concepts.
- Storytelling and narrative
- Short story forms
- Short story techniques
- Workshop techniques and practice
- Poetry – Finding a Voice
- Poetic form
- Poetry – Sound patterning
- Poetry – Workshopping and editing
- Writing for Performance
- Dramatic action
- Script dialogue
- Scene writing
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Embedded Multimedia
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Online assignment submission
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
An introductory creative writing subject leading to completed examples of the student's own prose, poetry and writing for performance.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Short story (30%)
- Poetry portfolio (35%)
- Script for performance (35%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.