Introduction to Management in Construction
Get constructive and stake out a foundation in management. Study the construction project life cycle and the role of the industry in communities. Understand what managers, quantity surveyors and project managers do. Learn management techniques.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 25 Nov 2019
- 01 Jun 2020
- 30 Nov 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will:
- analyse how management principles, in the broad areas of construction project management, apply to different stakeholders in project development processes
- discuss and reflect upon the construction industry and its place in the community and the external factors that influence it
- analyse the roles and functions of professional disciplines and the range of management concepts and techniques utilized by professionals in the delivery of construction projects.
- Introduction to Construction Industry Management
- National economy and the construction industry
- Understanding project lifecycle stages
- Construction contract documents
- Team selection procedures in the construction industry
- Innovative practices in contemporary construction management
- Managing risks and uncertainties in construction project delivery
- Professional bodies in the construction industry: the making of the project team
- Professional ethics and, crime and corruption in the construction industry
- Professional service marketing
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as Construction Industry Management.
This subject will provide students with an overview of the construction industry, project life cycle, the industry’s place in the community and external factors that influence it. The role, functions, and professional practices of construction managers, quantity surveyors and project managers will be discussed. Students will be introduced to a range of management concepts and techniques associated with construction projects.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Online Test (20%)
- Collaborative Reflective Journal (30%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
Textbooks are not required.
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.