Auditing, Assurance and Risk Assessment
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- explain and apply the international, regulatory and ethical framework in which auditors operate
- analyse financial information to identify key risk areas and their impact on the audit approach
- apply appropriate audit procedures to key risk areas
- prepare and justify an audit opinion for a given set of circumstances.
- Assurance and auditing: an overview
- Ethics, independence and corporate governance
- Overview of elements of the financial reporting audit process
- Planning, understanding the entity and evaluating business risk
- Assessing inherent risk and other specific business risks
- Understanding and assessing internal control
- Tests of controls
- Substantive tests of transactions and balances – cash, sales, purchases and inventory system
- Substantive tests of transactions and balances – accounts payable, payroll, non-current assets/liabilities, owners’ equity
- Completion and review
- The auditor’s reporting obligations
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
- CUR-ACC201-Accounting for Corporations
- CUR-ACC230-Financial Reporting (No longer available)
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
No additional requirements
An overview of assurance and ethics, independence and corporate governance. Understanding of the company audit process including audit planning - the concepts of materiality and audit risk. The evaluation and testing of internal control systems and substantive audit testing of transactions and balances. The finalisation of the audit and audit reporting.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Case Study (40%)
- Semester Test (10%)
- Final Invigilated Exam (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).