Count on your numeracy skills as you explore how mathematics can be applied in real world settings. Divide your attention between algebra, metric measurements and functions. Consider how maths can impact the health, science and business sectors.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 26 Aug 2019
- 02 Mar 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- perform calculations involving fractions, decimals and percentages and apply these concerns when solving more complex problems
- use the metric system to convert between measurements and to perform calculations involving measurement (including rates)
- analyse and interpret data using both descriptive and inferential statistics applying tests for normality as required
- interpret, solve and develop algebraic equations, and analyse and interpret graphs of these equations or graphs displaying data
- apply techniques to solve problems in a financial setting, in particular those involving interest and depreciation.
- Three Important Skills
- Metric Measurement
- Displaying & Analysing Categorical Data
- Displaying & Analysing Continuous Data
- Bivariate Analysis
- The Normal Distribution
- Inferential Statistics
- Algebra - Expressions
- Algebra - Equations
- Linear Functions
- Exponential Functions
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Web links
No eligibility requirements
- EquipmentDetails - Audio/Visual equipment
This subject was previously known as Applying Mathematics.
This subject aims to develop a core set of numeracy skills that will aid students in further study - particularly in Health Sciences and Business. Students will be introduced to a variety of mathematical concepts from basic numerical to statistical to financial, and to their real-life applications in Health Sciences and Business.
Please note: This mathematics subject from the UniReady Enabling Program may not satisfy university mathematics entry requirements.
Please Note: This subject cannot be used as credit towards a university degree.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Test (20%)
- Investigation (40%)
- Invigilated Exam (40%)
Textbooks are not required.
Textbook information is pending.