Your upfront cost: $0
Online & on-campus
- 01 Jul 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. pronounce and recognise up to 400 words in Gamilaraay correctly
2. understand and speak a variety of more complex sentence forms in Gamilaraay
3. understand and respond to more complex Gamilaraay commands
4. initiate and participate in more complex Gamilaraay conversations
5. respond effectively to unfamiliar problems in unfamiliar contexts
6. read and write more complex sentences and texts in Gamilaraay
7. use oral, written, and visual communication to further their own learning and as tools for interacting and relating to others.
8. identify and explain the more complex grammatical rules of Gamilaraay
9. identify, define and analyse problems and identify or create processes to solve them
10. use information in critical thinking and problem solving contexts to construct knowledge
11. demonstrate an appreciation of and respect for Indigenous Australian linguistic and cultural diversity
- 1. Revision01; plus verbs - reciprocal and subordinate
- 2. Revision02; plus verbs – reflexive
- 3. verbs – some other derived forms; Subordination continued
- 4. Consolidation, Emu and Bustard Text.
- 5. Verbs- time suffixes; exclamations
- 6. Demonstratives, Epistemics
- 7. Middle verbs, Coordination, clitics
- 8. Consolidation
- 9. Adverbs, Questions, conversation, semantics and derivation
- 10. Texts and songs
- 11. Other languages/revision
- 12. Assessment tasks
No eligibility requirements
- Equipment requirements - To successfully engage in this course students will need the following: • Laptop or computer • Computer camera (either inbuilt or webcam) • Headset with microphone • Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browser • Reliable internet access • Access to a scanner or smartphone
- Other requirements - This is a fast paced academic course at a University level.
Gamilaraay is an Indigenous Australian language from the mid-northwest of NSW that is currently undergoing revitalisation. This unit of study will provide students who have completed Speaking Gamilaraay 1 with increased competence in reading, writing, understanding and speaking Gamilaraay. They will be able to recognise and construct more complex utterances in the language. They will study a number of texts in Gamilaraay and in other Aboriginal languages, particularly the closely related Yuwaalaraay, and look at some material in the more distantly related Wangaaybuwan, a language with considerably better records than Gamilaraay Yuwaalaraay [GY] They will also study derivational processes in Gamilaraay, and continue to develop Gamilaraay resources.
- Written tasks 8 tasks, each including English to Gamilaraay and Gamilaraay to English translations. (25%)
- Oral tasks Readings of Gamilaraay texts (15%)
- Final writing task Creation of a Gamilaraay text, with translation. (25%)
- Project Creation of a Gamilaraay learning resource (15%)
- In-class quiz (15%)
- In-class quiz (5%)
Current study term: 30 Jun 22 to 30 Sep 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.