Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Advanced Persian A
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the conclusion of the course, students will have achieved language competency in the following skills: (1) Demonstrate competency in understanding factual material on concrete and abstract topics, while using knowledge of linguistic and cultural context to understand current social and political situations. (2) Demonstrate command of grammar, pronunciation, and intonation accurately in all social contexts with minimal difficulty to satisfy social and informational demands. (3) Demonstrate ability to write and translate texts of moderate difficulty between Persian and English (bi-directional) with good control of correct morphology, syntactical structures, punctuation, and in a legible and stylistically correct handwriting. (4) Comprehend and participate in conversations on personal, social, and some limited abstract and academic topics at upper-intermediate and advanced levels. (5) Compose extended text on a sophisticated topic of personal or academic interest with writing style at advanced level, correctly employing formal Persian style adequately.
- 1. Lesson 1 Travel Diary
- 2. Lesson 2 Modern Persian Prose
- نثر روز
- 3. Lesson 3 News
- 4. Lesson 4 Modern Persian Poetry
- شعر معاصر فارسی
- 5. Lesson 5 Teaching Persian Language
- آموزش زبان فارسی
- 6. Lesson 6 Classical Persian Prose
- نثر کلاسیک فارسی
- 7. Non-Teaching Period
- 8. Non-Teaching Period
- 9. Lesson 7 Persian Cultural Traditions
- آیین های ایرانی
- 10. Lesson 8 Story
- 11. Lesson 9 History
- 12. Lesson 10 Persian Modern Music
- موسیقی روز
- 13. Lesson 11 Influential Persian Women
- زنان تآثیرگذار
- 14. Lesson 12 Collective Past
- گذشتۀ مشترک
- 15. Final Exam
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
This is a fast paced academic course at a University level.
- Attendance requirements - No
- Equipment requirements - Yes
- Placement requirements - The students who have not taken Intermediate Persian B with ANU, can take placement test for evaluating their eligibility to take Advanced Persian A.
- Software requirements - No
- Travel requirements - No
This course builds on the Introductory and Intermediate levels of Persian language. This subject will develop the full range of linguistic skills in Persian such as the capacity to use idiomatic and conversational forms and to use them freely in speech; proficiency in written structures of moderate to advanced complexity and the capacity to use such structures clearly and accurately; interpreting messages of a medium level of complexity occurring in a variety of audio-visual media and individual and group spoken forms. Students should become conversant in some aspects of advanced Persian syntax and morphology, the historical development of Persian language and literature up to the modern period including examples of literary writing in the modern period, and translation of texts of moderate difficulty from Persian to English and English to Persian.
Assessment 1 Weekly written Assignment Weekly written assignments on the topics provided based on weekly lessons 30% Assessment 2 Two Oral Assessments Two five-minute recording of a reading passages on the suggested topics. %30 (%15 each) Assessment 3 Participations Preparation and participation in the weekly conversation classes. Students engage in an online conversation with the tutor and/or other students. %10 Assessment 4 Final Exam %30
- Weekly written assignments on the topics provided based on weekly lessons (30%)
- Two five-minute recording of a reading passages on the suggested topics. (30%)
- Preparation and participation in the weekly conversation classes. Students engage in an online conversation with the tutor and/or other students. (10%)
- Final Exam (30%)