Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Advanced Arabic 1
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
- 22 Feb 2021
ANU is a world-leading university in Australia’s capital city, Canberra. Their location points to their unique history, ties to the Australian Government and special standing as a resource for the Australian people. Their focus on research as an asset, and an approach to education, ensures their graduates are in demand the world-over for their abilities to understand, and apply vision and creativity to addressing complex contemporary challenges. ANU offers an outstanding variety of programs for Australia's next generation of language leaders. Their innovative online subjects are offered from beginning to advanced levels via OUA, and various enrolment options provide for different student needs and goals.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
- Demonstrate complex written social correspondence and daily situational conversation in Arabic to an upper intermediate to an advanced level.
- Critically analyse the differences between the main ideas and subsidiary ideas in Arabic texts.
- Demonstrate use of a good range of Arabic grammar forms and vocabulary in writing and speaking to an upper intermediate level.
- Initiate and maintain face-to-face conversations in Arabic.
- Demonstrate an upper intermediate to an advanced comprehension of the Arabic language presented in a variety of audiovisual sources.
- Demonstrate refined and advanced oral skills in real Arabic speaking situations.
- 1.Introduction to the Interview
- 2. Interviews in Arabic Media
- 3. Describing Places
- 4. Preserving our Heritage
- 5. Night Out
- 6.Arabic Humour
- 7. Jokes and Puns
- 8. Place and History
- 9. Storytelling
- 10. Jordan’s Ancient Treasures
- 11. Syria’s Ancient Treasures
- 12. Family in the Arab World
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
This is a fast paced academic course at a University level. You may be required to take a placement test. Via face-to-face video at a set time prescribed by the University. Please be aware of potential time zone differences.
- AttendanceDetails - No
- EquipmentDetails - Yes
- PlacementDetails - No
- SoftwareDetails - No
- TravelDetails - No
This course continues the work undertaken in Intermediate Arabic 2 and introduces students to advanced and complex texts in Arabic. The course assumes previous knowledge of the language for two years or equivalent. Negotiation and debating techniques will be practiced on a broad range of topics as well as supervised discussions on relevant issues to further promote oral and listening skills.
Final online exam Written exam 40 Final online oral exam Oral exam 10 Five Written assessment Transcription of audio texts 20 Online Conversation On hour weekly conversation 10 Oral Presentation 10-minutes oral presentation supported by Power Point 10 Online quiz Vocabulary and sentence construction quiz 10
- Final online oral exam: Oral exam (10%)
- Final online exam: Written exam (40%)
- Online quiz: Vocabulary and sentence construction quiz (10%)
- Final written assessment: Transcription of audio texts (20%)
- Oral Presenation: 10-minutes oral presentation supported by Power Point (10%)
- Online conversation: One hour weekly conversation (10%)
Current study term: 21 Feb 21 to 28 May 21)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.