Warning! This subjects requires on campus attendance. Refer to Special Requirements for more information.
Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Advanced Arabic 1
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 20 Feb 2023
Australian National University is a world-leading university in Australia’s capital city, Canberra. With ties to the Australian Government, they have special standing as a resource for the Australian people. Their approach to education ensures graduates are in demand the world-over for their abilities to address complex contemporary challenges. Offering innovative online subjects from beginning to advanced levels through Open Universities Australia, they meet varied students’ needs and goals.
Learn more about ANU.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
- Demonstrate complex written social correspondence and daily situational conversation in Arabic to an upper intermediate to an advanced level.
- Critically analyse the differences between the main ideas and subsidiary ideas in Arabic texts.
- Demonstrate use of a good range of Arabic grammar forms and vocabulary in writing and speaking to an upper intermediate level.
- Initiate and maintain face-to-face conversations in Arabic.
- Demonstrate an upper intermediate to an advanced comprehension of the Arabic language presented in a variety of audiovisual sources.
- Demonstrate refined and advanced oral skills in real Arabic speaking situations.
- 1.Introduction to the Interview
- Asking Questions كيف تسأل؟
- Answering Questions كيف تُجيب؟
- Expressing obligation without يَجِب; forming yes/no questions with أ, absolute negation with لا, inquiring about quantity with كَم
- 2. Interviews in Arabic Media
- Introducing the circumstantial adverb الحال
- the nominal sentence, كان and its set, the subjunctive, the adverb of time, diptotes, the passive participle, passive voice, and multiple إضافة
- 3. Describing Places
- Circumstantial Adverb "الحال"
- The Nominal Sentence "الجملة الاسمية"
- 4. Preserving our Heritage
- Modifying the Nominal Sentence تعديل الجملة الاسمية بأستخدام أنَّ واخواتها
- Diptotes الممنوع من الصرف
- 5. Night Out النادي الليلي
- Introducing types of ما, adverbs of manner, the particle ألاّ
- 6.Arabic Humour
- Sudden إذا الفجائية
- Verb of Approximation كادَ
- Introduction to the practical بما أنَّ
- Descriptive Idaafa
- 7. Jokes and Puns
- Conditional Sentences الجمل الشرطية
- The Expression بينما
- The uses of قد
- 8.Place and History
- Introduction to prepositional phrases and prepositions that collocate with certain verbs.
- Expressing reasons with: كي لكي حتى لِ
- Nouns with Verbal Forces اسم الفعل
- 9. Storytelling
- Practical application of grammar: introduction to translation of basic biographical prose
- Intellectual history: ابن خلدون وتأثيره على مادة العلوم الاجتماعي
- 10. Jordan’s Ancient Treasures
- Learning to Relate Historical Facts in Writing
- Describing Significant Historical Sites
- Translation Practice
- 11. Syria’s Ancient Treasures
- Viewing and Comprehension
- Oral Presentation Practice
- 12. Family in the Arab World
- There are Three Passages which Revolve Around the Themes of the Role of Women and Family in the Arab World and The Arab Spring 2011.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
This is a fast paced academic course at a University level. You may be required to take a placement test. Via face-to-face video at a set time prescribed by the University. Please be aware of potential time zone differences.
- Attendance requirements - No
- Equipment requirements - Yes
- Placement requirements - No
- Software requirements - No
- Travel requirements - No
- Other requirements - Students are expected to attend 4 hours per week of online live classes and spend an additional 6 hours per week on self-study.
This course continues the work undertaken in Intermediate Arabic 2 and introduces students to advanced and complex texts in Arabic. The course assumes previous knowledge of the language for two years or equivalent. Negotiation and debating techniques will be practiced on a broad range of topics as well as supervised discussions on relevant issues to further promote oral and listening skills.
Final online exam Written exam 30 Final online oral exam Oral exam 15 Three Written assessment Composition, grammar, translation and transcription 25 Online Conversation On hour weekly conversation 15 Oral Presentation 10-minutes oral presentation supported by Power Point 15
- Final online oral exam: Oral exam (10%)
- Final online exam: Written exam (40%)
- Online quiz: Vocabulary and sentence construction quiz (10%)
- Final written assessment: Transcription of audio texts (20%)
- Online conversation: One hour weekly conversation (10%)
- Oral Presenation: 10-minutes oral presentation supported by Power Point (10%)
Current study term: 19 Feb 23 to 26 May 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.