University Preparation Program
Start your learning journey with academic skills and confidence
A higher education pathway for anyone needing a strategy for university admission and success. Improve your communication skills, get up to speed with technology, and know what it’s like to be a uni student. Topics include writing, maths, and science.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 11 Feb 24
- 07 Jul 24
Wherever you are, the University of Tasmania brings its island campus to you through a growing range of online programs across art and design, business, education, health, science, sustainability, technology, and more. It’s never too late to switch things up. Kickstart that career you’ve been dreaming about, or upskill for the one you’re in. You’ll also become a part of the world's leading university on climate action.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
When would you like to chat?
Let me pick a time
Find a time that suits you for a free 1:1 consultation.
Call me anytime
An advisor will call you, usually within 30 minutes.
What you'll learn
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Find, evaluate, manage and use information in a range of formats for academic purposes to demonstrate reading, writing, numerical, and other literacies
- Address and solve discipline-related issues and problems through critical thinking
- Identify, evaluate and implement strategies to learn independently and cooperatively
- Communicate ideas in both written and oral forms to an academic audience
The program allows students the opportunity to develop:
• Cognitive skills to critically analyse information
• Skills and knowledge across a variety of different discipline areas
• The capacity to identify and access information, and do research
• Academic literacy, numeracy, and ICT skills
• Communication skills to present clear, coherent ideas and information
• Independent study skills to support success within a university learning environment
The program enables students to develop the skills, knowledge and confidence to continue study on a pathway into diploma, associate degree or bachelor level study.
There are no formal entry requirements for the University Preparation Program.
Credit for previous study or work
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The University Preparation Program (UPP) is a flexibly delivered enabling program. The program is designed to provide adult learners with academic learning skills and the confidence and personal skills needed to succeed at University. Successful completion of UPP enables students to meet the general admission requirements for undergraduate degree programs offered by the University of Tasmania.
The University Preparation Program (UPP) is an enabling or preparation course for:
• Mature age students
• Students who did not complete year 11 or 12 (or did so a long time ago)
• Students whose first language is not English
• Students already enrolled in a degree who find they are struggling because of a lack of academic skills and knowledge
This program is designed for applicants who do not meet general entry requirements for their chosen degree or who want a more supported or graded introduction to university study.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended.
If students are undertaking part-time study, we recommend that students complete all first year compulsory subjects prior to completing elective subjects to maximise success.
Completion of 8 subjects from the schedule below:
- 6 core subjects:
- TAS-UPP010 Learning at University
- TAS-UPP014 Writing in Practice
- TAS-UPP015 Numeracy and Data in Practice
- TAS-UPP016 UPP Project A
- TAS-UPP017 Communication Skills in Practice
- TAS-UPP018 UPP Project B
- 2 Discipline subjects
- Choose 2 subjects from:
- TAS-XAB021 Academic Writing
- TAS-XAB084 Introductory Scientific Principles
- TAS-XAB090 Bridging Maths
- TAS-XAB091 Academic Numeracy
- Choose 2 subjects from:
Satisfactory completion of 8 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 1-3 years from commencement.
Students do not receive an award after the completion of the University Preparation Program. This is an enabling non-award course to prepare students to undertake further study and meet general entry requirements at the University of Tasmania.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.