Graduate Diploma of Health Service Management
Become a force for change in the healthcare sector
Upskill in areas that impact your daily life as a health professional, like people management and decision making. You'll also explore larger issues such as quality and safety in healthcare, which will help you develop into a truly strategic leader.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Evaluate relevant ethical and legal considerations in an impartial way for specialised health service management
- Obtain, analyse and interpret data relevant to making evidence-based decisions in health service management tasks in complex contexts
- Critically apply a broad, coherent and in-depth knowledge of foundational and contemporary health service management theories, concepts, practical principles, and processes
- Exercise judgement to recommend appropriate solutions for emerging or new health service management tasks in complex contexts
- Effectively communicate complex health service management ideas in a broad set of group contexts
An Australian Bachelor Degree, Graduate Certificate or equivalent level standard in any other institution in an unrelated discipline and a minimum of one year relevant work experience in the health sector.
Work and Life
A minimum of five years approved relevant work experience in the health sector or other special circumstances (e.g. post‐secondary qualifications) as approved by the Dean or delegated authority. Refer all applicants to UTAS
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Graduate Diploma of Health Service Management is an advanced course of study designed to provide management professionals from both the public and private health sectors with training focused on issues of contemporary professional management practice. Some of Australia's leading senior health service executives teach into the subjects. You are therefore exposed to a level of unparalleled experience and real-world case-studies.
Recommended Study Pattern
Year 1. 8 subjects in first year including: select 8 subjects from the following
- TAS-BAA722 Research Methods in Health Management
- TAS-BAA737 Health Management Research Plan
- TAS-BAA738 Health Management Research Thesis
- TAS-BAA750 Delivering Integrated Care
- TAS-BAA751 Evidence Informed Decision Making
- TAS-BAA752 Foundations of Integrated Care
- TAS-BAA753 Health Ethics, Law and Governance
- TAS-BAA754 Health Finance, Economics and Accounting
- TAS-BAA755 Healthcare Organisational Behaviour
- TAS-BAA756 Healthcare Systems, Safety and Quality
- TAS-BAA757 Managing Complex Adaptive Healthcare Organisations
- TAS-BAA758 Leading and Managing Healthcare Organisations
- TAS-BAA760 Health Ontologies, Terminologies, and Classifications
- TAS-BEA674 Data and Business Decision Making
- TAS-BMA583 People, Work and Wellbeing
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.