Graduate Diploma of Extended Care Paramedicine
For leadership and greater responsibility in extended care paramedicine
Advanced theoretical and practical knowledge for paramedics pursuing leadership roles or complete autonomy. Deliver quality care to the community bolstered by your specialised knowledge in advanced obstetrics and paediatrics.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online and some attendance
- No dates available
ECU has been ranked one of the world’s best young universities and Australia’s best public university for teaching quality. That quality extends to more than 6,000 students studying online. ECU offers the same quality of teaching to you, regardless of where you’re studying in the world. Their flexible study solutions include a huge range of online courses, recognising your need to juggle work, family or other commitments.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the end of the program, students of the Graduate Diploma of Extended Care Paramedicine can:
- apply cognitive, technical and creative skills to investigate, evaluate and synthesise complex ideas, concepts and theories in authentic extended care Paramedicine contexts
- communicate complex medical and paramedical knowledge, research principles and methods to demonstrate an advanced level of extended care Paramedicine
- use high level self-management skills to initiate, appraise and operate in complex and dynamic extended care Paramedicine professional environments.
Graduates of this program will be well-placed to take on the clinical leadership challenges of Paramedicine.
Possible future job titles: Paramedic Practitioner, Paramedic, Extended Care Paramedic, Advanced Care Paramedic, Community Paramedic
The following course-specific admission requirements are mandatory and must be satisfied by all applicants. These requirements are in addition to or supersede the minimum requirements outlined within the Academic admission requirements band section below.
All applicants are required to have a Bachelor’s degree in Paramedicine, or have completed a Graduate Certificate of Extended Care Paramedicine, with equivalents considered.
Academic admission requirements (Band 8) may be satisfied through completion of one of the following:
- Bachelor degree in a cognate discipline; or
Work and Life
Alternatively applicants can have equivalent prior learning including at least five years appropriate professional experience.
English Proficiency Requirements
English competency requirements may be satisfied through completion of one of the following:
- IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0);
- Bachelor degree from a country specified on the English Proficiency Bands page;
- Successfully completed 0.375 EFTSL of study at postgraduate level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent);
- Where accepted, equivalent prior learning, including at least five years relevant professional experience; or
- Other tests, courses or programs defined on the English Proficiency Bands page.
Clearances and/or Risk Management Protocols Required
To be eligible to undertake clinical practice and fulfil their duty of care, students are required to complete risk management protocols on enrolment and carry out amendments in subsequent semesters, as appropriate. Risk management protocols include, but are not restricted to:
- Certificate of National Police Clearance
- Evidence of immunisation status as per the Department of Health schedule, more information at www.health.wa.gov.au/circularsnew/circular.cfm?Circ_ID=12275
- MRSA clearance if worked in, or been admitted to, a health facility outside of Western Australia in the 12 months prior to enrolment
- Working with Children Check, more information at www.checkwwc.wa.gov.au.
On campus requirements
This course can be studied entirely online when suitable agreements have been established to provide supervision of the practical components of the course. However, if suitable supervisors and/or facilities are not available at the time, attendance at the Joondalup Campus will be required. In the absence of clinical placement settings, on-campus intensive workshops will be provided to meet the learning outcomes of individual units.
Students will be required to complete a minimum of 80 hours professional placement in a clinical setting when completing PSP6305.
However, if suitable supervisors and/or facilities are not available at the time, attendance at the Joondalup Campus will be required. In the absence of clinical placement settings, on-campus intensive workshops will be provided to meet the learning outcomes of individual units.
Students will be required to attend the practicum during the hours established by the clinical placement agency. These may occur at times outside the identified semester weeks or normal business hours. Clinical practice periods may change with minimal notice to students due to circumstances outside the control of the School.
If you're applying for a course and have previous study or professional experience, you may be eligible for what we call 'advanced standing'.
For more information and to apply please go to https://www.ecu.edu.au/future-students/course-entry/advanced-standing
This course is designed to provide the paramedic with the necessary knowledge and skills for a career as a team leader or single responder in Extended Care Paramedicine.
The course focuses on the clinical issues directly related to practice, and develops a greater depth of understanding to enhance clinical decision-making and critical thinking. Students will learn advanced-level clinical knowledge to apply to their daily paramedical practice, while at the same time learning advanced skills in evidence-based practice.
The combination of advanced clinical knowledge and applied research knowledge and skills provides students with the ability to continuously improve their own clinical practice, as well as impact on the organisation they are employed by and the broader Paramedicine community.
Students are required to complete six units
- PST5200 Extended Care Paramedicine 1
- PST5214 Extended Care Paramedicine 2
- PST5107 Advanced Obstetrics for Paramedics
- PST6113 Paediatrics for Clinical Care Paramedics
- PSP6305 Extended Care Paramedicine Practicum
- PST6206 Extended Care Paramedicine 3