Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Graduate Diploma in Financial Planning
Certify your career in financial planning
Gain or update your qualifications in this Financial Planning Association Australia accredited course – a new mandatory requirement for financial planners. Cover estate planning, risk management, superannuation, commercial law, tax and more.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 12 Jul 20
- 10 Nov 20
Established in 1991 after amalgamating four eastern Australian Catholic tertiary institutes, Australian Catholic University now has seven campuses, from Brisbane to Melbourne and welcomes students of all beliefs. Specialising in arts, business, education, health sciences, law, theology and philosophy, ACU encourages its students to think critically and ethically and bring change to their communities and offer this online through Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
The learning outcomes for the Graduate Diploma in Financial Planning focus on students developing up to date knowledge of the finance industry, its regulation and its role in economic sustainability globally, developing technical skills to facilitate analysis, developing critical thinking skills to interpret that analysis and to be able to communicate decisions and recommendations.
Specifically, the learning outcomes are as follows:
- Graduates should be knowledgeable about current financial market issues, including financial market operations, financial institutions, and the regulations of financial markets and institutions.
- Graduates should be able to make financial management decisions on the basis of finance theory and finance best practice to advance the interests of their organisation and society generally.
- Graduates should be able to employ critical reasoning skills and ethical frames to ensure responsible financial decision-making.
- Graduates should be able to interpret and explain professional decisions or recommendations to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Graduates should be able to apply their skills and knowledge to new or emerging situations.
Graduates can pursue a range of careers such as:
- Financial advisor/planner
- Wealth manager
- Investment consultant
- Financial director
- Chief financial officer
- Chief executive officer
The Graduate Diploma in Financial Planning is an accredited degree by Financial Planning Association (FPA) Australia
To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must have completed a bachelor degree in any discipline
Work and Life
Students not holding a bachelor degree may apply based on at least five years’ industry experience in a relevant role.
English Proficiency Requirements
Students must meet English language requirements as follows:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Overall score: 6.5. Individual score of: 6.0; or
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 61 with a minimum of 50 in all 4 communicative skills; or
- Test of English as a Foreign Language - Academic (TOEFL): Internet based total of 90: minimum 25 writing; or
- ACU English Language Test: B (65-74%); or
- Cambridge Advanced English (CAE): Overall CAE score: 176. Minimum score of 169 in all tests.
ACU will consider requests for advanced standing based on prior studies. ACU has an articulation agreement with Financial Planning Association (FPA) Australia for Certified Financial Planners (CFPs). CFPs may get the maximum credit of four subjects, equivalent to 40cp.
The Graduate Diploma in Financial Planning is designed for new entrants and experienced financial planners. The degree is suited to aspiring and experienced financial planners aiming to boost their skills, knowledge, and credentials. This degree will meet the education requirements of FASEA for financial planners. The degree will prepare graduates for careers in their chosen field through enhanced professional recognition and delivering a combination of skills, knowledge, and expertise which will equip them to gain employment as well-rounded finance planning professionals.
The degree embraces the importance of ethical and sustainable decision making and offers flexibility in delivery online through Open Universities Australia.
Completion of 8 subjects from the Specified Units in the Graduate Diploma in Financial Planning
Submission of application form and appropriate supporting documents
Submission of Application to Course Complete form to ACU
Choose subjects to begin.
You can apply for government funding or pay up-front.