Graduate Certificate in Health Service Management (Safety and Quality)
Get current with industry practices and make healthcare safer
A formal qualification developed by the Australian Institute of Health Service Management. Study national standards, models, and frameworks. Understand how clinical safety, quality, and accountability are critical when managing health services.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 05 Feb 23
- 25 Jun 23
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Critically analyse clinical safety and quality in healthcare
- Critique and communicate safety and quality issues related to the delivery of health services considering social, environmental, political and economic factors
- Analyse foundational and contemporary health service management theory, principles and processes, and reflect on their efficacy in current practice
For admission to this degree you need to have:
Australian Bachelor Degree or equivalent and a minimum of one year relevant work experience in the health sector
Work and Life
A minimum of five years approved relevant work experience in the health sector or other special circumstances (e.g. post-secondary qualifications) as approved by the Dean or delegated authority.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here. https://www.utas.edu.au/study/apply/admission-requirements/recognition-of-prior-learning.
This program will develop knowledge, analysis skills and practical competencies through using the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards and National Model Clinical Governance Framework as the focus for study. The underlying theories and models, purpose, evidence for, application and systems to review each of the standards will be investigated. Students will have opportunities to engage with Australian experts and participate in industry case studies and analysis.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended.
Completion of 4 core subjects from the schedule below:
- TAS-BAA543 Clinical Governance in Health Care
- TAS-BAA544 Integrating Governance Systems and Structures into Safety and Quality in Healthcare
- TAS-BAA545 The Science and Practice of Clinical Safety and Quality and Accountability 2
- TAS-BAA546 Principles and Models for Engagement with Consumers in Health Care
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 1-3 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.