Graduate Certificate in Health Service Management (Aged Care)
Learn to lead and manage aged care services
A formal qualification in aged care governance and leadership, developed by the Australian Institute of Health Service Management. Study leadership theory and gain confidence in your decision making. Get critical and strive to make improvements.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 25 Jun 23
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Critically analyse leadership theories and styles in Aged Care contexts
- Demonstrate a range of decision making and leadership skills in problem solving, change and conflict management, accounting for and respecting cultural diversity and the needs of healthcare stakeholders
- Analyse foundational and contemporary health service management theory, principles and processes, and reflect on their efficacy in current practice
- Demonstrate leadership communication on management, motivation, and workplace culture required for effective leadership
For admission to this degree you need to have a Australian Bachelor Degree or equivalent and a minimum of one year relevant work experience in the health sector
Work and Life
A minimum of five years approved relevant work experience in the health sector or other special circumstances (e.g. post-secondary qualifications) as approved by the Dean or delegated authority.
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here. https://www.utas.edu.au/study/apply/admission-requirements/recognition-of-prior-learning.
The effective governance and management of aged care services is a critical requirement to ensure: safe, high quality care for vulnerable older Australians; and, the financial viability of organisations.
In this program you will critically assess the knowledge, structures and systems required to effectively govern, organise and manage residential aged care organisations. A review and critique of governance arrangements, including accountability and transparency requirements for staff, managers and boards will be undertaken. The processes and activities to identify, monitor and improve key elements of organisational functioning, within complex health networks, will also be examined.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking part-time study, the following study pattern is recommended.
The course is only available for part-time study.
Completion of 4 core subjects from the schedule below:
- TAS-BAA541 Aged Care Governance: Context, Reforms and Systems
- TAS-BAA542 Aged Care Leadership and Management: Effective Internal and External Integration
- TAS-BAA750 Delivering Integrated Care
- TAS-BAA752 Foundations of Integrated Care
Satisfactory completion of 4 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 1-3 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.