Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
Graduate Certificate in Forensic Mental Health
Become a recognised forensic mental health specialist
Gain a broad knowledge of forensic mental health and its overlap with the criminal justice system and mental health services. For psychologists, social workers, nurses and psychiatrists to be able to practice at an advanced level.
With a network of campuses across Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from more than 122 countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
Graduates of this Graduate Certificate will have broad knowledge of forensic mental health and its overlap with the criminal justice system and mental health services.
Graduates of this Graduate Certificate will have:
- cognitive skills to review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise a professional understanding of forensic mental health.
- cognitive skills to think critically about and to evaluate contemporary concepts of forensic mental health.
- technical skills in the risk assessment and management of forensic mental health clients.
- communication skills to demonstrate an understanding of foundational forensic mental health theory
- communication skills to transfer professional understanding and ideas about evidence-based policy to stakeholders in the forensic mental health field.
Application of Knowledge and Skills
Graduates of this Graduate Certificate will demonstrate the application of knowledge and skills:
- to make high level, independent judgements in the conceptualisation, functional analyses and management planning for case examples of forensic mental health clients.
- to initiate, plan, implement and evaluate risk assessment policies using case examples of forensic mental health clients.
- possess responsibility and accountability for executing all aspects of assessment tasks and substantively contribute to in class discussions within in-class or online learning environments.
As a graduate, you will be a qualified and professionally recognised forensic mental health specialist, and be able to practise the profession at an advanced level.
A recognised undergraduate degree from a recognised tertiary institution.
Work and Life
In selected circumstances, applicants without a recognised undergraduate degree may apply for entry based on their work experience in a forensic mental health related field. In these circumstances, the applicant must supply evidence of relevant professional registration or vocational experience in a forensic mental health related field. Such applicants, who will normally have worked relevant positions for a minimum of five years, will be required to provide references from their employers supporting their application for admission and attesting to their ability to complete the program. In these cases, the Program Convenor will make the final decision and must be satisfied as to the applicant's ability to complete such a course of study.
Griffith University may award credit for prior learning. Students can apply to gain credit for prior learning at the postgraduate level by lodging a credit transfer application form. For further information and a copy of the form, please contact Griffith University.
This degree has been designed in collaboration with Queensland Health's School of Mental Health to provide postgraduate professional training for current or future forensic mental health practitioners, including nurses, psychologists, social workers and psychiatrists. It also provides an extension to undergraduate degrees in nursing, applied science, criminology and criminal justice, and applied psychology.
Recommended Study Pattern
Students can complete their four core subjects in any order.
To qualify for the award of Graduate Certificate in Forensic Mental Health students must complete four subjects.
The maximum period for completing this program is 2 years.